Monday, September 28, 2009

Who's ray for aluminum.


I wrote something long and stupid. I deleted it. Then i wrote....Aluminum Seat I built a week or two ago. I don't have enough money to pay the late registration on my bike Yet I have enough spare time and am wealthy enough in scrap aluminum. Life is a strange mix of shit sometimes. Don't have a break light or plate rigged up yet but it's been on a test ride or 3. Is it OK to say I don't like it? Spent too much time on it. Learned a lot. Just doesn't flow with my bike though. Whhahhhhh whaaaahh boo who? 

5 comments:

in dishabille said...

craftmanship!

Moped said...

How'd you make the seat?

DETAILS!!!

Luke said...

The bottoms part of the seat is one piece of 5/16 marine grade aluminum plate. Way too expensive for me to buy but we had some scrap left over from re skinning the bottom of an old aluminum boat. I wanted to try and make it so i could put the original seat back on when ever i wanted but ended up saying fuck it and cut the ends off the frame... they can always be welded back on.

Used a sheet metal roller for the rear part. Tiged the thin stuff into each other and an aluminum mig for the thick stuff.

The side I put through a million passes on a mill to get the cut out reveal. and those two pieces were migged and ground down. Filed all the welds down smooth, but occasionally the files would get clogged up and leave deep gouges in the aluminum that i'm never going to be able to sand out. or mabey i just don't have the pacients (sp) to sand out.
The whole thing was pretty much just an excuse to use new tools, and practice my aluminum welding.

It's kinda like those big sun glasses ugly girls wear so that from afar you can't see their face.

Moped said...

That's really cool, man. I'm envious of your aluminum welding skills. Good stuff.



Hahah, big ugly sunglasses...

Chris Saddler Sam said...

sunglasses?????????

:)